Don’t feed your pets Halloween candy, especially if it contains chocolate or xylitol (a common sugar substitute found in sugar-free candies and gum);
Make sure your pet is properly identified (microchip, collar and ID tag) in case they escapes through the open door while you’re distracted with trick-or-treaters;
Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets;
Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. Although the liquid in these products isn’t likely toxic, it tastes really bad and makes pets salivate excessively and act strangely;
If your pet is wary of strangers or has a tendency to bite, put him/her in another room during trick-or-treating hours or provide him/her with a safe hiding place;